SharePoint Online is a cloud-based service that helps departments share and collaborate with colleagues, partners, etc. With SharePoint, you can access internal sites, documents, and other information from anywhere—at the office, at home, or from a mobile device.
Please note the classic Department SharePoint becomes legacy and user are advised to create Shared Library from OneDrive (modern SharePoint with M365 group).
Every Microsoft 365 user can create Shared Library for Document Sharing and user can assign addition owners to co-own the site.
Each department, office can only apply for one departmental SharePoint site and they will need to delicate a SharePoint Administrator for their site. CSC will need send email to firstname.lastname@example.org specify the colleague who will be the site administrator for your department, office and each department/office can only have one Departmental SharePoint.
Support and dococuments from Microsoft:
Other useful tips:
SharePoint Online can be used to store data classified as high-risk under the HKUST Guideline for Risk Classification.
If you will use mobile device to access SharePoint, please use the OneDrive app instead of the SharePoint app for better security. The following pre-cautions must also be taken.
- If you will sign in with your school account on OneDrive Sync client installed on non-office computers, be aware that that data might be synchronized to devices outside the campus network. Please encrypt your high-risk data before putting them into SharePoint.
- Please follow the following precautions on mobile devices if there are high-risk data:
- Enable screen lock with your mobile device
- Enable passcode protection with your OneDrive App (under settings --> password)
- Never save an offline copy in your mobile device
- Reset your password and wipe your mobile in case loss of your mobile