@Connect is available to both current students and alumni, offering an email that can be retained for a lifetime. It is based on Microsoft’s Office 365 cloud solution and also offers an array of other useful tools including calendaring and document authoring as well as social networking functions.
Since mid-March 2014, all new students have had @Connect as their official University email account, which takes the form of <account name>@connect.ust.hk. Messages sent to the old email address will be redirected until students complete their course. ITSC has also been working with the Development and Alumni Office to extend @Connect to alumni, who can refer to Alum-e-Nation for more information. If you are a new student or have switched to @Connect, you can access email and Office 365 through http://O365.ust.hk or Student Intranet. See Getting Started with Outlook Web App if you are new to Office 365.
Benefits of @Connect
With @Connect, students can take advantage of greater email storage, expanded services, and continued use of their account after graduation. @Connect also provides access to many web-based applications. Benefits include:
100 GB storage for email, shared calendars and continued use of your @connect.ust.hk email address even after you have completed your studies at HKUST. However, storage size will be reduced to 50 GB when students completed their study in HKUST.
Office Web Apps
Capability to create and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote files via a web browser (even after completed studies at HKUST).
OneDrive for Business
5 TB personal storage that can be accessed anywhere. Easy to share files internally and externally and control over who sees and edits them (even after completed studies at HKUST).
- Office applications (Office 365 ProPlus)
Students can install Microsoft Office 2013 and Microsoft Office 2016 for Macs on up to five desktop PCs or Macs and on 5 mobile devices (license will be revoked upon graduation). Click How to install Microsoft Office for more information.
Important Note - Modern Authentication
Microsoft has been supporting a more secure logon mechanism, namely modern authentication, for accessing Exchange Online as an optional feature. This feature will be enforced by Microsoft stating from 1 Oct 2022. To ensure a smooth transition, ITSC will carry out this enforcement staring from Feb 2020 for students and alumni by phases in advance of the Microsoft announced deadline.
Apart from Outlook and Apple mail, other email clients may not work anymore after modern authentication enabled (although latest version of built-in Android Mail App might work). You are highly advised to switch to use the supported email apps now.
Please refer to Access your email (@connect or @alumni) after Modern Authentication is enforced for more information.
- Change Display Name
- Set up Full Name Email Alias (Postgraduate Student)
[Please use Microsoft Edge, Chrome or Firefox if you have problem setting the alias]
Support Email applications:
In addition to the Outlook Web App, the following email applications are recommended:
- Microsoft Outlook for PC or Microsoft Outlook for Mac (Get from your Office 365 account)
- Microsoft Outlook for iPhone / iPad in the Apple Store
- Microsoft Outlook for Android in the Play Store
For enquiries about @Connect, email the ITSC Service Desk (email@example.com)
- 23 Jan 2020 - Tightening Email security by enforcing modern auth for Exchange Online
- 20 Feb 2017 - OWA (@Connect) supports 2FA
- 31 Aug 2016 - Download full suite Office 2016
- 09 Nov 2015 – Microsoft Office 2016 is now available
- 20 Jan 2015 – Updates on o365.ust.hk logon page
- 21 Jul 2014 – OneDrive Storage Increased to 1 TB
- 2 Apr 2014 – Launch Events
- 31 Mar 2014 – Announcing the Office you love, now on the iPad
- 14 Mar 2014 – Launch of @Connect – Lifetime Email Service
- 7 Feb 2014 – Another chance to join @Connect Pilot Test and Win Asus Transformer Book T100 Windows Tablet
- 7 Jan 2014 – Join @Connect Pilot Test and Win Asus Transformer Book T100 Windows Tablet