Microsoft Campus Agreement, or MSCA, is the company’s comprehensive worldwide volume license program for higher education customers. MSCA covers a 3-year term and needs to be renewed on every 3-year. Benefits include one annual payment for software; charges based on people rather than computers; and availability of the latest version of all software covered in MSCA.
Why has HKUST joined MSCA?
To support PCs in our campus network, HKUST previously purchased Microsoft operating systems and office applications software licenses under Microsoft Open License Policy (MOLP). In 1999, Microsoft Campus Agreement (MSCA) was launched in Hong Kong. MSCA is a more flexible, efficient and cost-effective annual volume licensing scheme for educational institutions.
Here is a list of software under MCSA:
- Microsoft Windows® Operating System Upgrades (see Note 1)
- Microsoft® Office® Enterprise or Microsoft Office for Mac Professional
- Microsoft cire Server Client Access License
- Windows Server CAL
- SharePoint Server Standard CAL
- Exchange Server Standard CAL
- System Center Configuration Manager Client Management License
- System Center Endpoint Protection Client Management License
- Skype for Business Server Standard CAL
- Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP)
- Microsoft SQL Server Client Access License
- Win Enterprise E3
Other Microsoft software (including all Microsoft server systems) should be considered not covered under MSCA and should not be used without a proper license from other sources.
- Software covered under MSCA includes Windows Operating System Upgrades. Before installing or upgrading a PC with any higher versions of operating system, such as Windows 7 Professional (Windows 7 home edition is not included), Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, the PC MUST has a legal 32-bit operating system license (the lowest version is Windows XP).
- During the term of the MSCA agreement, we have the right to run the most current version, or any previous version of the software, on either a Macintosh or Windows version, as applicable.
How can I obtain the software covered and documentation?
On joining MSCA, a set of software images covered in MSCA is kept at ITSC. Faculty and staff can obtain the software through downloading it from the Download Area. Software documentation is NOT provided under the agreement. Faculty and staff may want to buy it from the Microsoft distributor if needed
Is there any home user support?
Faculty and staff have the right to run one copy of the software covered in MSCA for school-related activities on either a laptop or desktop that they own or lease. For the Windows operating system, your home PC must already have a legal initial 32-bit operating system (Windows 7 at least). You then have the right to upgrade your Windows operating system to any higher versions, including Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 Enterprise in any available language.